Monday 18 October 2010

Who'd have thought?

That going to university could turn out to be a big fat waste of time? When I left school at aged 17, university was the way to go for me - I was under the impression that every potential job would be interested in my degree  and my university experience. But this no longer seems the case.  After graduating in July this year I am still being turned away from umpteen jobs because I'm 'lacking experience' - although I've studied PR, advertising and journalism, organised my own fashion show, interned as a Fashion PR intern and got experience as an event assistant. I can't help thinking that if I'd have come out of school/6th form at 17 and got myself into something fashion/media/PR related I'd be well on my way to where I want to be now, instead of constantly scouring the internet for jobs to be told my experience is just not good enough.

I've faced rejection so many times that I'm now on the verge of looking into starting my own Events/PR company (I've designed my email signature this morning and everything. Obviously the most important part!) But who'd have ever thought that you'd be at a disadvantage with a degree and experience?


1 comment:

  1. Don't give up. I'm in a similar position, but with teaching and I know it's hard hearing no, but maybe that means something better is around the corner, or that you're meant to start up your own company. Wishing you lots of luck. xx

    ReplyDelete